Monday, September 12, 2011

Time to kick off the school year

At the start of this school year, I am now almost 2 ½ years into my 4 year term as a member of the board of education. When I ran in 2009, one of the things I stated I wanted to see increased, were the ways the district and the board can engage in more dialogue with our community. This blog is one way I see to communicate in a non-formal setting, outside of our business meetings with members of the community.

From time to time, I will post information on local and federal issues that will be affecting our district. Additionally, I will be sharing updates on board business as it occurs at our meetings. Our board meetings are usually held at the Central Services Office on the 2nd and 4th Mondays of the month and are open to the public. Please stop by and say hello!

We are now a couple weeks into the 2011-2012 school year and the remaining portion of my term will be busy. Contract discussions with our teachers’ union will begin this year as we work on the new contract which will begin with the 2012-2013 school year. We will also conduct our search for a new superintendent as Dr. Riebock is set to retire when her contract ends at the completion of the 2012-2013 school year. Additionally, the board is busy moving forward with the Master Facilities plan and figuring out a permanent solution that materializes out of our work..

I hope to hear your thoughts on the information you see posted here or any other issues with regards to District 41.

Please feel free to comment here (I do filter the comments before they are posted to keep out spam and to make sure they are appropriate) or send me an email.

Regards,

Dan Smith, Jr.

2 comments:

  1. Good Idea for the blog.

    I find it very frustrating that the Sup. Riebock is retiring. Obviously, one is entitled to do as one desires, but the lesson for the Board should be that despite significantly large up front costs and substantial salary and benefits, just a few years on board does not enable development of long term benefits and strengths.

    I suggest that the Board seek a professional with real vested interest in the D41 community - D87 too. My opinion of being fleeced by the D41 Board with the Green Line shenanigans can be mitigated a bit knowing that it is of long term benefit. Mrs. Riebocks actions here have not been long term. SHe has managed, however, to maintain the level of success and focus that her predecessors have built.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment. I know I will be looking for a superintendent that will continue to carry out the good work of the district as well as be ready to face the continuing financial challenges ahead.

    ReplyDelete